Thursday, November 15, 2012

Monogram Burlap Placemats


Ever since I first laid eyes on them in Pottery Barn, I've wanted monogrammed burlap placemats.  However, Pottery Barn is a bit steep for this little lady, so - the solution is to find a way to make them.  At about $4.00 a yard, buying the burlap and doing them at home was an excellent alternative!

Now, I must tell you, burlap is the most frustrating material to work with - especially if you're new to sewing like me.  There are a few things I would have done differently in retrospect.  First, iron your material before cutting.  Yes, I know this sounds like common sense, but really, cut me some slack.  Second, don't stress about lining up it up perfectly - focus on making straight lines.  You'll see what I mean in a minute.  And finally, ignore the tips about cutting burlap online.  If you google it, you'll find there's a way to snip out a small piece and pull one of the fibers all the way out, thus creating the perfect alley to cut.  This is so time consuming and rarely works the way you want it to.  Plus, I got a fiber burn on my hand.  Not fun. Just use the scissors.

So!  Now that you have the details, I will tell you - once you've finished your first set, you'll see how easy these actually are to make.  {Hello?!  The peeeerfect Christmas gift!}

Would you like to know how?  Here's how you do it.

Materials
1 1/2 yd  Burlap {I bought 2 yards, just in case, but you only need this much}
Fabric Scissors
Measuring Tape
Sewing Pins
Sewing Machine
Brown Thread
Monogram Stencil
Brown Multi-Surface Paint
Spongebrush
Palette
Fabric Glue

Instructions
1.  Double up your material {or just don't unfold it} and cut your fabric at 15 inches.

2.  Then, cut your fabric at 20 inches.  Make these cuts until you have four placemats that measure 15" x 20".

3.  Pin together your layers of burlap so they won't slip while sewing.

4.  Run it through your sewing machine.  Given the unpredictability of cuts, you will create an edge of anywhere between 3/4" to 1/2".  Focus on making a straight line.  Leave at least 1/4" edge of material.
You should set your machine to short stitches with high tension.  This works well to catch all of the fibers in the material.  Also, I did not reverse stitch at the start of my thread - I didn't think it would look good, but I took care of the possibility of unraveling in Step 6.
This is what mine looked like when sewn.

5.  This is when I ironed my material...again, I suggest this at the beginning.  Iron on Medium-High heat - mist water on material if some wrinkles are being stubborn.

6. Use fabric glue over the intersection of your thread.  This helps hold together the vulnerable parts of your construction.

 7.  Once the glue has dried, trim your edges. I trimmed mine to 1/4".
See, so much better! Not perfect, but I'll take it!

8.  Now it's time to monogram.  Position your stencil and tap on the paint.  Remember, do not overload your sponge brush with paint - a small amount will get the job done.  Also, tap straight up and down - do not swipe.  Swiping can cause paint to get under your stencil and ruin your design.  Finally, when ready to remove, pull the stencil straight up.
Isn't it so pretty???
 Stencil all four of your placemats, allow to fully dry, and enjoy!


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

 
Blogging tips