Thursday, March 21, 2013

Pickin' the Fixin's


Today was a super cool day!  My husband and I are in the process of building a house and have been anxiously awaiting our chance to visit the design studio.  We've chosen Taylor Morrison as our builder, so we knew we would have a ton of great options!

First, let me say, the design studio was every home owners dream.  They had models of kitchens to walk through, a wall of fixtures and cabinet options, and a room of flooring options.  It was a dream come true.

PLUS they had Gold Fish snacks!

Our design assistant, Vicki, was incredible!  She was so knowledgeable and helpful with all our decisions.  We had ample time to review their options packet beforehand, but when you stand in the studio, all that planning becomes a bit... fuzzy.  {What was our budget again?}  Thankfully, we had a great guide and she definitely kept us on track financially.  We couldn't be happier.

And seriously... look below!  Check out all the options we chose!
 I'll finally have my white cabinet kitchen!
I've always been told to spend your money in the kitchen and we certainly did.
We also upgraded the faucet {brushed nickel} and the sink {a deeper one}
We also increased the upper cabinets' height from 30" to 36".
With all the cooking I do, I'll need the extra space!

 While I do consider myself a pro at adding hardware to cabinet doors,
their prices were just too good to pass up.
Plus, while I love a good project, I don't want to move into a house we built
with a long list of DIY projects already in mind.

{At least not for the interior... the backyard is another story.}

If we were going to upgrade the kitchen faucet, we might as well do the other fixtures.
Right?
When we walked through the models {which are heavily upgraded}
we fell in love with these fixtures.  There's something very elegant about them.
Plus, they went so well with the door hardware we had chosen.
All of our hardware and fixtures are in brushed nickel. 

 We also spent a good amount of time discussing wiring and lighting.  
We had some discussions about wall outlets and standard recessed lights.
Things I never would have considered until going through this process.
Wait...you mean, lights on the outside of the house on either side of the garage
aren't standard?!
Oh yes, we had to pay extra to add lights outside the house.  
Oh, and a garage door opener - not included, my friends.
We added an outlet here and there.... prewired for ceiling fans in almost every room.
{Very necessary in Arizona}

Boy, did it start to add up quickly.
However, not as badly as we thought..
Soooo.
We decided to get shutters on the windows.
My husband could not be happier. 

The list could go on and on about the options we chose.
Flooring upgrades, handrail upgrades, moulding upgrades.
Apparently you can upgrade everything. 

Overall, we had a great time.  It almost felt too quick.  I could have been in there all day looking at their options and playing around with ideas.  But we knew what we wanted going into the meeting and are so happy we are well on our way to building our dream home.  

Very excited to take this journey with all of you.  Stay tuned for more pictures as our build process begins!  While I can only speak to our experience, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

 
Blogging tips